Wednesday, April 21, 2010

You Want Me To Stick That Up Where?!

Yesterday I worked a half day.  The rest of the day was spent at the college for my Radiography Program Orientation Meeting.  Me and 19 of my new "best friends" sat in our classroom for 3 hours and got the low down on what to expect for the next 2 years of our lives.

It was meant to scare us.  And I admit I did leave the college with a headache.  And I was questioning if this is the right path for me.  Here are a few the things that scared me:

1 hour spent in the classroom means 3 hours of homework.  Average class time per day: 3 hours.
You do the math.

We are going to learn to start IV's.  I hate needles and almost fainted when I had to get one.(shudder)

I (may) have to take EMT 110 over again because I took it 3 years ago.  EMT 110 is a Medical First Responder class.  I hate retaking classes I've already aced!

The cost!!!  It's close to $9,000.00 for a resident and I'm a non-resident so I pay more!

Barium enemas.  That's right.  Google it.

I also need a physical and blood tests.  More money out of my pocket.

This is going to be hard work, but I have an amazing husband and family to support and encourage me.  I'll be doing a lot of praying too I'm sure, but the one thing I have to keep telling myself is why I want to be a Radiography Tech (RT).  If I can make the time I spend with a patient the best part of their experiance in the hospital then I've done a good job.  And that's what my goal is.

Wish me luck!
Brie

No comments:

Post a Comment